Monday 8 April 2013

Magazine Title Evaluations

H-Squared² - The first magazine title that i have in mind is H-Squared². This stands for my chosen genre which is Hip Hop. Hopefully the reader will gather this and then they can easily decide whether or not the magazine is for them. I can also abbreviate the title to just H² in order to make it look more effective, however this may be too short and small for a magazine title and can so make the end product look unprofessional and of a low standard. I believe this would be a good name for my magazine as it is very unique and has the potential to become a catchy and established title. 

Supreme - The next magazine title that i will be evaluating will be Supreme. I initially came up with this title from the popular Hip Hop related clothing line Supreme that is worn by a lot of the artists that i will be including in my magazine. Straight away it has a link to the magazine through fashion and trend, however i also believe that it would look very effective as a magazine title with the red and white colour scheme that Supreme already has. It could also build a partnership with the clothing line and be the official music magazine which will gain the magazine tons of publicity. This will also come in handy as a lot of the publicity that it will gain will already be Hip Hop/Alternative Hip Hop music fans.
Faded - Another magazine title that i will be choosing between is Faded. I really like this title as i believe it would sound and look good being a Hip Hop magazine title. I got the idea for the title as Faded is a common word that Hip Hop artists use in their songs. The actual definition of Faded is to gradually grow faint and disappear or to lose colour/brightness. This can then link to the colour scheme that i would use. I would use colours that relate to the meaning such as black, grey and white which all look very effective when used together as text can be easily read. Faded has many urban uses to it such as to describe something as being high/stoned/blazed, tired as fuck or getting revenge. All of these urban uses to the word can relate well to my target audience as a i believe they will regularly use them, much like their favourite artists. Another reason why i really like the title Faded is because of the straight edge on the capital letter 'F'. I intend to include the word 'magazine' inside the letter 'F' on its side so that the magazine can also be referred to as Faded Magazine. I have seen this done on a few magazine's and it looks very professional.

Explicit - The fourth magazine title that i have in mind is Explicit. I originally got this idea as it relates to the 'Explicit content' notice found on most Hip Hop CD/Album covers in order to inform that parental discretion is advised. Explicit is when an exact equivalent of something is defined. This will link to my target audience as the majority of them will prefer the Explicit version of songs/videos rather than the clean version as they will include things such as swear words, and sexual/graphic content that the clean version does not. This tells us that the audience is somewhat rebellious which is exactly what i want them to be as it relates to the Hip Hop genre. Like Faded, Explicit has a straight edge to the letter 'E' that allows me to include the word 'magazine' in it in order for me to make it look more professional and effective. This also links to one of the tag lines that i have in mind which is 'Parental Advisory. Explicit Content'. Again, this will make the magazine look more professional.


Overall, i believe my final decision is most likely going to be Faded as i think this will be a better match to my magazine rather than the other title ideas. I will also be using the tag line 'We put the Hip in Hip-Hop' as this is very catchy and will look very professional when presented on my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment